Problem updating to 1.32 from 1.31

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 28 18:07:43 PST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 13:52, Joe Jones wrote:

> OK, I am new to mac ports and am following the instructions presented
> on the macports wiki. I downloaded the 1.31 dmg installer and
> installed it and then ran sudo port self update. I get the following
> build error when I do this:

> cc -dynamiclib -L/usr/local/lib  -L/usr/lib -lcurl -lssl -lcrypto -lz
> Pextlib.o strsed.o fgetln.o md5cmd.o setmode.o xinstall.o find.o
> strcasecmp.o vercomp.o filemap.o sha1cmd.o compat.o curl.o rmd160cmd.o
> readline.o uid.o -o Pextlib.dylib
> -L/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.4 -ltclstub8.4
> -L/usr/local/lib  -L/usr/lib -lcurl -lssl -lcrypto -lz -lreadline
> -lcrypto
> ld: warning prebinding disabled because of undefined symbols
> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _add_history
> _read_history
> _readline
> _rl_attempted_completion_function
> _rl_completion_matches
> _rl_filename_completion_function
> _rl_line_buffer
> _rl_readline_name
> _rl_username_completion_function
> _stifle_history
> _unstifle_history
> _using_history
> _write_history
> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
> make[2]: *** [Pextlib.dylib] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> This is on 10.4.8 using the latest XCode.
>
> What can I do to get this running?

It looks like someone else reported this last month:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2006-October/
000301.html

But I don't see a reply to that message.

 From the list of symbols that it's having trouble with, it sounds
like a readline problem? Perhaps you need to install the MacPorts
readline port (sudo port install readline); perhaps it's having
trouble with the system-provided readline.

On the other hand, perhaps you have a rogue version of readline
installed someplace else, for example /usr/local. If so, you should
move that readline out of the way, then do your MacPorts thing, then
move it back, if you need it. But you may need to do that each time
you want to compile MacPorts things. For this reason, it would be
better not to have any readline in /usr/local.