Can't Self Update

Sean Hermany sean.hermany at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 22:05:06 PDT 2006

Hello,

I've been trying to get darwin/mac ports workin so I can get rails
going on my new mac (had it about 2 weeks, normal windows dev, can get
around linux fwiw).

I originally installed from the 1.3.1-1 DMG file from darwinports.org.
Install seemed to go ok, however when I tried to selfupdate, it
failed. I went back to darwinports.org, which had transitioned to
macports.org by this time. I then downloaded the 1.3.2 tarball, built
it, and installed it. Again, seemed to work fine.

However, it just can't selfupdate. I've been getting the same error
everytime, with the DMG build, and the one I built from source. I did
a system software update Friday night and tried again, with no
different results if that makes a difference. Here's a console session
with my error:

Seans-Mac:~ seanh$ port -v
MacPorts 1.320
Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
[Users/seanh] > quit
Goodbye
Seans-Mac:~ seanh$ sudo port selfupdate
Password:
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync dports
tree: sync failed doing rsync
Seans-Mac:~ seanh$

I've tried the command dozens of times thinking it might be busy
servers. If anyone could shed some light, I'd really appreciate it.

- sean