Macports "broken by default" (Re: gnome-vfs missing dependencies?)

Pierre Queinnec pmq at macports.org
Wed Oct 4 01:24:07 PDT 2006

Hi Wolfgang,

I never ever replied to a flame, but your mails are a constant
annoyment, so let me explain some simple things to you.

Wolfgang Keller wrote:
>> dbus-glib-1 is the glib bindings for dbus. dbus 0.61 includes the
>> bindings in that port.
>
> Well, then you better fix that portfile really soon now.
"Well, then you better give us a patch really soon now". How would you
feel if someone talked to you this way?
As a side note, I could even say that if you lack the technical skills
to fix it yourself, then you should probably not talk to Randall that
way. Sorry if I'm being blunt.

> I don't want to flame, but...
>
> Do you guys actually test _anything_ before releasing it to the public?
>
> Do you actually want to be taken for serious?
>
> If so, you better start to use some methods of what is generally called
> "release management" really soon now.
Just try to express your feelings with constructiveness.

> Until then, I'll personally consider Macports as inexistant, because unusable
> for actual use. As basically _most_ of the ports are broekk at any given
> moment and a quick "sudo port upgrade installed" can even break things that
> were previously working.
OK. I won't argue on the port brokeness because this won't get anywhere
in terms of code and bugfixes.
On the last argument you're having, you're telling me you can't
reactivate older archives? Furthermore, on the "[port] can even break
things that were previously working" part, guess what? All systems "can
even break things that were previously working". We just dislike
breaking stuff as much as you do.

> Sincerely,
>
> Wolfgang Keller

-- Pierre