Mac OS X X11 Behaviour and DarwinPorts

Yves de Champlain yves at macports.org
Wed Oct 25 09:02:06 PDT 2006

Le 06-10-25 à 10:06, Merton Campbell Crockett a écrit :

> I seem to have done something wrong or have misunderstood how to
> configure Mac OS X 10.4.8 to use DarwinPorts.
>
> Although ~/.profile exists and .../xinit/xinitrc includes "source
> ~./profile", only the first xterm window opened will have "/opt/
> local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:" set in its environment.  When I open
> subsequent xterm windows, I need to explicitly enter the command
> "source .profile" to include the path to the DarwinPorts X11
> applications.

X11.app being an aqua app, it does not read the unix environment.
The first xterm is probably considered a login shell and thus reads
the environment.  You can set every xterm to be login shell with the
"-ls" option.  Or you can use a window manager that is aware of the
environment (any other, I guess)

yves