http update ports tree using subversion

cssdev at mac.com cssdev at mac.com
Wed Oct 25 18:03:31 PDT 2006

On Oct 25, 2006, at 7:39 PM, BB wrote:

> Can someone help? I'm behind a firewall with no rsync access,
> therefore I want to update the ports tree using subversion. Need
> pointers on how to do it, I have limited experience with cvs and
> subversion.

Do you already have subversion and/or MacPorts installed? If so, then
you should just be able to perform a checkout from the server. The
steps below assume that you already have it. You'll have to check out
the ports tree using subversion, and then you'll have to modify your
configuration to look for ports in that new location.

1. Check out the ports tree in a useful location (e.g. /Users/Shared/
dports):
	cd /Users/Shared && svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/
macports/trunk/dports dports

2. Edit ${prefix}/etc/ports/sources.conf to include:
	file:///Users/Shared/dports

3. Manually update as needed.
	cd /Users/Shared/dports && svn up

If you do not already have subversion in place, then you can even use
the Finder to access the repository. However, that route is a bit
more convoluted.

What do you already have available on your system?

Chris