imagemagick/montage problem

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fz-rossendorf.de
Thu Oct 26 00:51:53 PDT 2006

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2006, at 05:19, Emmanuel Hainry wrote:
>
>> Citando Joerg van den Hoff :
>
> [snip]
>
>>> montage -tile 2x2 i1.png i2.png i3.png i4.png
>>>
>>> now simply gives a Bus error. the tail of the `ktrace' output reads

>>>   8300 montage  CALL  open(0xbfff7778,0,0x30fde0)
>>>   8300 montage  NAMI  "/opt/local/share/ImageMagick-6.2.9/type.xml"
>>>   8300 montage  RET   open -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
>>>   8300 montage  CALL  open(0xbfff7778,0,0x30fde0)
>>>   8300 montage  NAMI  "/Users/vdh/.magick/type.xml"
>>>   8300 montage  RET   open -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
>>>   8300 montage  CALL  open(0xbfff7778,0,0x30fde0)
>>>   8300 montage  NAMI  "type.xml"
>>>   8300 montage  RET   open -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
>>>   8300 montage  PSIG  SIGBUS SIG_DFL
>>>
>>> which to me only shows that  some file `type.xml' is nowhere found but
>>> seems to be needed to procede ...
>>
>> It is found, exactly where it has been installed (and in the first place
>> montage searches): "/opt/local/lib/ImageMagick-6.2.9/config/type.xml".
>
> It doesn't look like that's where montage searches for it. type.xml
> exists in /opt/local/lib/ImageMagick-6.2.9/config but the trace above
> shows that montage is looking for it in /opt/local/share/ImageMagick-6.2.9
the excerpt from ktrace.out was to short. emmanuel was right: type.xml
is found where he said it is (why _after_ the successful open type.xml
it is still looked for in other locations I do not really understand: if
this is a case of a customizable file the lookup through the different
locations should probably be the other way round, I would  think).

>> Moreover, if I put this file in '.', the lines before SIGBUS signal a
>> success. So the bus error is not due to this file.
>
> I think I agree... the command given above (montage -tile 2x2 i1.png
> i2.png i3.png i4.png) completes successfully for me with the same
> ImageMagick version. I didn't see what architecture you're on; I'm on
> PowerPC.
so I am (dual G5, 10.4.8)

> Note that the command tiles the images i1.png, i2.png and i3.png, and
> writes the result to i4.png.
right (I missed adding the output file), but  apending `out.png' to the
command leads to the same crash anyway.

> Perhaps the crash has to do with the specific images you're using. If
> you want to send me the images (off-list if you like) I'll see if I can
> reproduce the crash then.
I tried it  with several sets of different images (jpg and png) - same
result. furthermore I tried the imagemagick version provided by `fink'
(ImageMagick 6.1.8): this one runs flawless. so thanks very much for the
offer to try out this specific images, but I think the reason is not in
the images. maybe something is wrong with my /opt/local tree but I don't
see what it could be.