imagemagick/montage problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 26 01:11:52 PDT 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 02:51, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:

>> the command given above (montage -tile 2x2 i1.png i2.png i3.png
>> i4.png) completes successfully for me with the same ImageMagick
>> version. I didn't see what architecture you're on; I'm on PowerPC.
> so I am (dual G5, 10.4.8)

I'm on a PowerBook G4 with 10.4.8. Maybe it's a G5 or a dual-
processor thing.

>> Note that the command tiles the images i1.png, i2.png and i3.png,
>> and writes the result to i4.png.
> right (I missed adding the output file), but  apending `out.png' to
> the command leads to the same crash anyway.
>> Perhaps the crash has to do with the specific images you're using.
>> If you want to send me the images (off-list if you like) I'll see
>> if I can reproduce the crash then.
> I tried it  with several sets of different images (jpg and png) -
> same result. furthermore I tried the imagemagick version provided
> by `fink' (ImageMagick 6.1.8): this one runs flawless. so thanks
> very much for the offer to try out this specific images, but I
> think the reason is not in the images. maybe something is wrong
> with my /opt/local tree but I don't see what it could be.

I was going to suggest reinstalling ImageMagick, then remembered that
you just upgraded to 6.2.9-8 so that should be ok. You could report
it to the ImageMagick bugs mailing list and see what they say.

http://www.archivesat.com/list685.htm

You may want to wait and test 6.3.0-0 first. I just committed that
update, so if you wait 12 hours, then "sudo port sync", you should be
able to upgrade.