http update ports tree using subversion

cssdev at mac.com cssdev at mac.com
Thu Oct 26 07:55:11 PDT 2006

On Oct 25, 2006, at 8:18 PM, BB wrote:

> Thanks, I have subversion 1.4 installed and had no problem checking
> out the tree.
>
> Would the following amended instructions work?
>
> 1. Checkout ports tree and place in standard MacPorts location:
> cd /opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/
> svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports \
> rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports
>
> 2. Manually update as needed:
> cd /opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/
> rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate
> svn up
>
> Seems like it would work, do you see any problems with doing it
> this way?

That should work fine, but you might want to be careful against a
selfupdate (updating the MacPorts base). If rsync were to overwrite
that directly, you would be disappointed. I would recommend leaving /
opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate
for rsync only, if for no other reason than to avoid any possible
conflict.

Chris