Installing Apache2 on MacBook Pro issue

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 30 17:39:41 PST 2006

On Oct 30, 2006, at 19:02, Julien KRIVACSY wrote:

> I'm a newbie with macports and I am trying to install ruby on rails
> by port. To do this, I'm following this tutorial : http://
> blog.duncandavidson.com/2006/04/sandboxing_rail.html
>
> But while compiling libiconv (in apache2), I've got an error and I
> don't know what to do. Apparently, port is trying to compile a PPC
> version and I have got a MacBook Pro 1.83.
>
> Here's the error :
> MacBook:/tmp/libiconv-1.11 root# port install apache2
> --->  Staging libiconv into destroot
[snip]
> /usr/bin/ld: warning /opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib cputype (18,
> architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch
> flag: i386 (file not loaded)
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> __libiconv_version
> _iconv_canonicalize
> _libiconv
> _libiconv_close
> _libiconv_open
> _libiconvctl
> _libiconvlist
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make: *** [install] Error 2

Some questions...

What is /tmp/libiconv-1.11? Why is that there?

How did you originally install MacPorts? I believe the recommended
way is to download DarwinPorts-1.3.1-10.4.dmg from http://
svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/downloads/Darwinports-1.3.1/ .
That should be a Universal Binary and work properly on Intel and
PowerPC Macs. Is that how you installed it?