[Macports-users] Re: Remove list prefix?

TjL luomat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 06:58:56 PDT 2006

On 9/6/06, Charlie Allom <yeled at macports.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 06:59:04AM -0500, cssdev at mac.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What do others think about removing the [Macports-users] subject list
> > prefix? The List-Id header is ideal for filtering, and it would be
> > great to have the extra room when viewing message subjects in Mail.
>
> These discussions usually go along the lines "the prefix is needed for
> people who read it all in one mailbox. people who filter, can strip the
> prefix themselves already."

Which of course is a complete and utter fallacy.

> here is my procmailrc entry for macports-users --
>
> :0
> * ^Sender: macports-users-bounces at lists.macosforge.org
> {
>         :0Wf
>         * ^Subject:[ ]+(Re:[ ]+)?\[Macports-users\]\ +\/.+
>         |formail -I"Subject: $MATCH"
> :0
> .lists.macports-users/
> }

Great.  How do I do that for GMail?

I've used procmail for 10+ years, know it, and love it.

But not everyone can use it.

So the argument that "anyone who doesn't like it can strip it" is
demonstrably false.

[MPU]

would work just as well for people who either use one mailbox or who
can only filter on the Subject line.

TjL