configure/make/install options for compiling applications from source into /opt/local?

Frank McPherson frank.mcpherson at janusresearch.com
Thu Sep 21 08:40:45 PDT 2006

Wolfgang,

I usually take a slightly different approach to solving problems like
this, which is to ask, 'how different is the version I want from the
one that's already available from macports?' I approach it that way
because, most of the time, someone has already figured out what
options need to be passed to configure to be built using macports
dependencies and to install to the macports location.

In your case, I would remove any existing gnumeric port you have, by
doing: 'sudo port clean --all gnumeric'.

Then I would modify the existing portfile to add the option you want:
'sudo port edit gnumeric'. Change configure.args to remove the '--
without-python' tag.
Build and install your slightly modified gnumeric port via 'sudo port
install gnumeric'.

If you get this working you could consider submitting any changes you
needed to make to the gnumeric Portfile to get it working with python
and the other plugins you want as a patch in trac. This method has
the advantage of being installable and uninstallable via the 'port'
command.

Good luck,

Frank McPherson