port upgrade outdated

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Thu Sep 21 12:16:41 PDT 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 11:49 AM, Michael Stevens wrote:

> James Berry wrote:
>> Michael,
>> This is an unfortunately accident, which I believe means you don't
>> have any outdated ports.
>> What does "port outdated" show?
>
> So it looks like, yes, all my ports are up to date.
>
> I'm, umm, not convinced the message I got is a good way to indicate
> that, though.

Yes, you're absolutely right. It's a bug that it's confusing.

I'll try to fix it before too long. If you could file a bug against
it, that would be great. I think the easiest fix is to improve the
wording of the error message to be more clear about what happened:
basically, when the pseudo-port "outdated" expands to no ports, then
the upgrade action (and many others) tries to use the port in the
current directory.  Since there is no port in the current directory,
it gives the error about no ports.

As a more complex fix, we should somehow know the difference between
no expression, and the case where we have an expression that
evaluates to nothing: this would be the really right thing, but might
be more difficult.

James