MRTG

Paul Beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 12:33:59 PDT 2006

On Sep 27, 2006, at 9:42 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> I don't believe you need RRDtool installed to use it.

you don't. They are separate packages.

to use mrtg, simply run cfgmaker by pointing it at an SNMP-enabled
device and capturing the output to a file. then run mrtg with that
file and you are collecting data. RTFM on the finer points, but
that's it in a nutshell.

I'd give an example but I no longer use mrtg: I use rrdtool.

If you think you might want rrdtool (which offers a lot more)
checkout cacti (cacti.net) as a front-end/config manager. care and
feeding of rrdtool is much more involved.

that I do have examples for: http://paulbeard.org/cacti/Graphs%20for%
20paulbeard.org/red_24.html
--
Paul Beard