Macports Newbie - XServe use

grimmwerks grimm at grimmwerks.com
Sun Apr 1 18:07:20 PDT 2007

Alex - please let me know how you find all the macports installation
on the xserve goes for you; I don't have the experience you do, but
I've installed the same setups (+ruby) on non-server machines with no
problem. However, recently trying to get all of this on the xserve
has proven itself to be problematic for me recently.

I don't know if it's a permissions problem, or something I've done in
my own misunderstanding, but I don't have a solid setup right now.
The placement of the mysql.sock being a problem at first, the
permissions and ability to write to databases being another. As of
right now, mysql is a bit farked in that I DO have databases created
and users that can write to these dbs, but the minute that I try to
run rails to set up an initial database (I'm trying to setup
retrospectiva as a bugtracker) -- it all blows up.  I've even tried
to mySQL gui tools to add to the db, and they crash too.

Apache is running (I get the 'It works!' page), but can't quite get
the mod svn working as yet.

So, if you do get this all up and running smoothly, I'd really
appreciate it if you can hand down the steps to get this going on an
Xserve.