Please clear up DarwinPort/MacPorts confusion

Dan Delaney ddelaney at powercreative.com
Thu Apr 5 07:40:57 PDT 2007

Hi all.

I've decided to use MacPorts for my Intel-based MacBook, but the web pages
seem a bit confusing. First, the DarwinPorts page looks as if it's still
active. The only mention of the switch to MacPorts is in a news entry. And
even in that there's no link to the new website. The rest of the DarwinPorts
site still looks like nothing has changed. It seems to me that that page
should be completely changed to be just a single page that tells people that
the DarwinPorts project has transitioned to the MacPorts project and gives
them a big link over the the MacPorts page.

Second, the MacPorts page doesn't have much infomration. No "About" page
explaining anything. And most importantly, nothing explaining what the
"current stable version" is. So when I go to Downloads I see DarwinPorts
1.3.2 and MacPorts 1.4, yet since the Website doesn't have any information
about this 1.4 release, I don't know if this is alpha, beta, or what.

Can someone please explain what the deal is with this MacPorts 1.4 release?
Is that the current recommended download or is it just an alpha or a beta?

Thanks
--Dan