gcc's crt0.o

Michael Brian Bentley bentley at crenelle.com
Thu Apr 5 18:19:15 PDT 2007

On the plus side, this is the first meaningful explanation I've seen
(thanks for finding it!) that says what gcc is doing and why. Now I
know. Cool.

Because of Apple's stark interest in keeping linking dynamic, I could
see Apple adding a warning to their build of gcc that explains
(briefly!) what's going on and how to fix it (use -xyz, not -srx, or
whatever). Heck, they don't say in this tech note what you need to do
in order to switch from static to dynamic linking. The truth is in
the tech note, which is good, but it isn't where the problem
resolution information will do the most good at the most sensible
time, which would be to put it in with gcc.

I've experienced carefully placed, undocumented gotchas courtesy Apple before.

-m