Macports Newbie - XServe use

Alex Kac alex at webis.net
Thu Apr 5 19:33:48 PDT 2007

I've got a MySQL expert who works with the MySQL consulting folks. I
had the same issue and here is what he told me to do and now it works
great:

ustin2-webis-net:/opt/local/var/db/mysql5 root# ls -la
total 40976
drwxr-xr-x   10 mysql  mysql       340 Apr  5 21:17 .
drwxrwxr-x    4 root   admin       136 Apr  5 16:47 ..
-rw-r--r--    2 root   mysql         0 Apr  5 16:47 .turd_mysql5
-rw-rw----    1 mysql  mysql      3914 Apr  5 21:17 Austin2-webis-
net.local.err
-rw-rw----    1 mysql  mysql   5242880 Apr  5 21:17 ib_logfile0
-rw-rw----    1 mysql  mysql   5242880 Apr  5 16:49 ib_logfile1
-rw-rw----    1 mysql  mysql  10485760 Apr  5 20:27 ibdata1
-rw-rw----    1 mysql  mysql      2197 Apr  5 20:52 localhost.err
drwx------   53 root   mysql      1802 Apr  5 20:49 mysql
drwx------    2 root   mysql        68 Apr  5 20:36 test
Austin2-webis-net:/opt/local/var/db/mysql5 root# cd ..
Austin2-webis-net:/opt/local/var/db root# chmod -R +x mysql5/
Austin2-webis-net:/opt/local/var/db root# chown -R mysql:mysql mysql5/

Of course, don't use the default my.cnf files - they are all horrible.

On Apr 1, 2007, at 8:07 PM, grimmwerks wrote:

> Alex - please let me know how you find all the macports
> installation on the xserve goes for you; I don't have the
> experience you do, but I've installed the same setups (+ruby) on
> non-server machines with no problem. However, recently trying to
> get all of this on the xserve has proven itself to be problematic
> for me recently.
>
> I don't know if it's a permissions problem, or something I've done
> in my own misunderstanding, but I don't have a solid setup right
> now. The placement of the mysql.sock being a problem at first, the
> permissions and ability to write to databases being another. As of
> right now, mysql is a bit farked in that I DO have databases
> created and users that can write to these dbs, but the minute that
> I try to run rails to set up an initial database (I'm trying to
> setup retrospectiva as a bugtracker) -- it all blows up.  I've even
> tried to mySQL gui tools to add to the db, and they crash too.
>
> Apache is running (I get the 'It works!' page), but can't quite get
> the mod svn working as yet.
>
> So, if you do get this all up and running smoothly, I'd really
> appreciate it if you can hand down the steps to get this going on
> an Xserve.

Alex Kac - President and Founder
Web Information Solutions, Inc. - Microsoft Certified Partner

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible
worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Clabell