Upgrade Question

Emmanuel Hainry ehainry at free.fr
Fri Apr 6 03:00:46 PDT 2007

Citando Ryan Schmidt :

> On Apr 6, 2007, at 02:08, Nathan Brazil wrote:
>
> >Hi.  After I upgraded to MacPorts 1.4, I noticed that freetype is
> >now at 2.3.2, where the version I have installed is 2.1.10.
>
> freetype 2.3.2 would have been available to previous MacPorts
> versions as well through a simple "port sync".
>
> >I would like to upgrade to the latest version, but  I also have
> >several ports installed that depend on freetype.  How do I know if
> >2.3.2 is binary compatible with 2.1.10, and if not, is there a
> >command to re-compile all the ports that depend on freetype?
>
> I do not know if freetype 2.3.2 is binary-compatible with 2.1.10, nor
> do I think there is a general way that one can be assured of that for
> any arbitrary versions of any given port. I installed freetype 2.3.2
> over my 2.1.10 and it seemed to work for me. If you find you do need
> to rebuild things that depend on freetype, there is a script at item
> 2 of the problem hotlist that can help you identify what those ports
> are:
>
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/ProblemHotlist

In a perfect macports world, port dependents freetype is enough to guess
which ports may need rebuilding, and this script is not necessary.

For a first guess whether rebuilding will be necessary, you can have a
look at which number libfreetype.*.dylib gets. 2.1.10 as well as 2.3.2
define a libfreetype.6.dylib, so there should not be breakage that a
rebuild may solve: if there was a change, the dependents should not
compile.

Emmanuel

--

find /opt/local/var/db/dports/software/ -name "libfreetype.?.dylib"
should show you which number the libfreetype has in the different