Please clear up DarwinPort/MacPorts confusion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 9 02:03:27 PDT 2007

On Apr 8, 2007, at 14:34, Jaroslav Hron wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2007, at 18:46 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Apr 7, 2007, at 11:18, Jaroslav Hron wrote:
>>
>>> Why is my port instalation saying:
>>>
>>> port version
>>> Version: 1.500
>>>
>>> Am I living on some bleeding edge developement version without
>>> knowing it?
>>>
>>> My settings in port.conf are:
>>>
>>> rsync_server            rsync.macports.org
>>> rsync_dir                       dpupdate/base/
>>
>> Yes, apparently... how did you install?
>
> Well - I made the instalation over 1 year ago, something like
> version 1.3
>
> Since then I just selfupdate and upgrade those 5 ports I use (tex,
> emacs, gcc,...)
>
> Last time I changed anything was the change to the macports.org
> servers.
> I remeber there were some problems but after few tests it
> worked and since then just by selfupdating it went to 1.5 by itself...

Weird. I was unaware that there was ever a time when a port
selfupdate downloaded version 1.5. My understanding was that that
should not have been the case. I myself haven't used selfupdate in
quite a while (I'm updating manually) so I can't say for sure what's
up. Anyone who works in base want to comment on whether or how this
would be possible?

> Is there some setting somwhere to choose between release and
> developer version?

Presumably that would be the rsync_dir parameter you mentioned above.
I believe the defaults are [1]:

# Rsync server to use
rsync_server		rsync.darwinports.org

# Rsync directory from which to pull the base/ component
(infrastructure) of DP
rsync_dir			dpupdate1/base/

rsync.macports.org and rsync.darwinports.org both point to the same
IP, so that shouldn't be relevant. But I don't know what the
difference is between dpupdate and dpupdate1.

[1] http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/base/doc/
ports.conf.in