Macports Newbie - XServe use

Alex Kac alex at webis.net
Tue Apr 10 08:47:56 PDT 2007

True, if my server was solely for DB. But I run a small shop so one
quad xeon runs everything :) So 32 bit for now isn't too bad. The
only major reason I'd want 64-bit is due to the extra registers on
EMT64.

On Apr 10, 2007, at 1:51 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2007, at 23:54, Alex Kac wrote:
>
>> On Apr 5, 2007, at 11:24 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Have you been able to test your mysql yet to see if it's 64-bit?
>>> I found this document describing how to get mysql to compile 64-
>>> bit (on PowerPC):
>>>
>>> http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=20050705130841426
>>>
>>> That would imply that it doesn't automatically build 64-bit.
>>
>> It didn't. No biggie. Its probably not as well tested on OS X anyway.
>
> I had thought that MySQL AB distributed 64-bit binaries, but I see
> now that it's only for 64-bit PowerPC, not for 64-bit Intel.
>
> It might yet be possible to adapt the instructions in the article
> above to build MySQL (and ncurses) 64-bit on Intel but you're
> probably right that not many have tried this yet and you might risk
> the stability of the server. Still, it would be nice to be able to
> use all your memory...

Alex Kac - President and Founder
Web Information Solutions, Inc. - Microsoft Certified Partner