somewhat [OT] byteswap.h

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Tue Apr 10 09:55:49 PDT 2007

Michael Brian Bentley <bentley at crenelle.com> on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at
9:16 AM -0800 wrote:
>I'm trying to build something that RedHat wrote for Linux on a Mac
>Book Pro running OS X 10.4.8, and have come across a need for a file
>called byteswap.h, which appears to be a Linux-only thing.
>
>I imagine that at least one of the mac ports have run into needing a
>version of this file.
>
>I could invent an empty version of the file, and then fill it up with
>whatever the build can't find. Is this file particularly well defined?
>
>http://www.koders.com/c/fidB93B34CD44F0ECF724F1A4EAE3854BA2FE692F59.aspx
>says:
>
>#warning "byteswap.h is an unportable GNU extension! Don't use!"

I don't know the answer, but for questions like this I usually see if
there is a FreeBSD port for the app in question to see how they dealt with
it.  FreeBSD is very similar to OS X and they have to overcome Linuxisms
too.  They frequently have patches that can be used unmodified for
MacPorts, or if not their patches give clues as to how a patch for
MacPorts can be made.

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

I've also keep an eye on Portage patchfiles for the same reason.
http://mozilla.mirrors.tds.net/pub/gentoo-portage/  If no one answers your
question directly, perhaps the issue has alredy been dealt with in other
package managers and you can learn from that.

Mark