How to use php5 port with MySQL5 binary?

Karl Timmermann timmerk at comcast.net
Sat Apr 14 23:09:44 PDT 2007

On Apr 14, 2007, at 5:29 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> The reason you should not do this, or at least the reason why I do
> not presently include a variant like this in the php5 portfile, is
> that it is MacPorts policy to use its own versions of software
> unless there is a compelling reason not to. What is your reason for
> not using the MacPorts version of mysql5?

First, thank you very much for the instructions on how to modify the
port file. As to your other question, I have a lot of programs that
are looking for mysql in the normal place. Also, I mentioned in
another post that I was having problems with localhost mapping to the
socket file - the port uses a custom location for the socket file,
and a lot of my programs don't map correctly when connecting to
localhost. Another reason is the MySQL binary comes with a nice pref
pane to turn it on and off and to start it up on boot up. I guess I
just like it more "Mac like". :-)

However, perhaps I could use the ports if I made proper symbolic
links everywhere - then everything should work, including the pref
pane. I could do this, or modify the port file to change the file
paths. Do you recommend this instead?

Thanks again,
Karl