MacPorts v1.4.2 released

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Tue Apr 17 09:47:31 PDT 2007

Emmanuel Hainry wrote:
> Citando Ryan Schmidt :
>
>> Perhaps you meant to clean only the *installed* ports. But I'm still
>> not clear why. I think MacPorts automatically cleans each port after
>> it's installed, so you really shouldn't need to clean the installed
>> ports.
>>

> port automatically cleans the work (build) directory, but not the
> distfiles and the archives, which port clean --all does. So it is a way
> to gain some disk files as distfiles can begin to pile up if there are
> frequent updates. Uninstalling inactive ports frees a lot of room too.

Wouldn't it be useful in that case to have the "port clean --all"
command tolerate a failed request to clean a package that's not available?

$ sudo port -f clean --all all
--->  Cleaning ngrep
nhc98 is not supported on OS X i386 yet

It's not a critical discovery that nhc98 is not yet supported; the
script should just move on.

David