MacPorts v1.4.2 released

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Tue Apr 17 14:51:19 PDT 2007

Hi David,

On Apr 17, 2007, at 9:47 AM, David Liontooth wrote:

> Emmanuel Hainry wrote:
>> Citando Ryan Schmidt :
>>
>>> Perhaps you meant to clean only the *installed* ports. But I'm still
>>> not clear why. I think MacPorts automatically cleans each port after
>>> it's installed, so you really shouldn't need to clean the installed
>>> ports.
>>>

>> port automatically cleans the work (build) directory, but not the
>> distfiles and the archives, which port clean --all does. So it is
>> a way
>> to gain some disk files as distfiles can begin to pile up if there
>> are
>> frequent updates. Uninstalling inactive ports frees a lot of room
>> too.
>>
> Wouldn't it be useful in that case to have the "port clean --all"
> command tolerate a failed request to clean a package that's not
> available?
>
> $ sudo port -f clean --all all
> --->  Cleaning ngrep
> nhc98 is not supported on OS X i386 yet
>
> It's not a critical discovery that nhc98 is not yet supported; the
> script should just move on.

I'll certainly agree that the nhc98 port is misbehaving in this case.
It should make such a complaint on destroot or configure, or
something, but not when the portfile is opened.

I believe that if you pass the -p flag to port, that this error (and
any others) in a particular port will be ignored. The -p flag
basically says that, while processing multiple ports (such as those
furnished by all) that an error in one should be ignored.

James