man pages

Matt Meissner meissnem at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 15:18:09 PDT 2007

On Apr 21, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2007, at 11:25, Sbranzo wrote:
>
>> On 21/04/07 00:56, Алексей Муранов wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> i have a small problem.
>>> I have just installed MascPorts, and tried
>>> $ man port
>>> but received
>>> No manual entry for portgroup
>>
>> Maybe your $MANPATH doesn't include /opt/local/share/man/, if you add
>> export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:/opt/local/man:/usr/share/man:/
>> usr/local/share/man
>> to your .profile all should work correctly.
>> I thinks the tiger version of man have hardcoded other paths, since
>> MANPATH doesn't have to include system man page folders.
>
> My MANPATH is empty but I still seem to be able to read manpages
> for ports. I'm on Tiger.

look up man(1) for the details, but on Tiger the man command looks at
each item in your PATH, changes any "/bin" into "/man", and searches
there for manpages.

To bring this back to MacPorts, if I remember correctly, this is the
only reason why ${prefix}/man -> ${prefix}/share/man is still
around.  It was decided ages ago that the canonical location for man
pages is ${prefix}/share/man

Matt

--
Matt Meissner