man pages

Алексей Муранов alexey.muranov at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 04:04:03 PDT 2007

Le 22 Apr 2007 à 00:18, Matt Meissner a écrit :

> On Apr 21, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Maybe your $MANPATH doesn't include /opt/local/share/man/, if you
>>> add
>>> export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:/opt/local/man:/usr/share/
>>> man:/usr/local/share/man
>>> to your .profile all should work correctly.
>>> I thinks the tiger version of man have hardcoded other paths, since
>>> MANPATH doesn't have to include system man page folders.
>>
>> My MANPATH is empty but I still seem to be able to read manpages
>> for ports. I'm on Tiger.
>
> look up man(1) for the details, but on Tiger the man command looks
> at each item in your PATH, changes any "/bin" into "/man", and
> searches there for manpages.
>
> To bring this back to MacPorts, if I remember correctly, this is
> the only reason why ${prefix}/man -> ${prefix}/share/man is still
> around.  It was decided ages ago that the canonical location for
> man pages is ${prefix}/share/man
>
> Matt
>
> --
> Matt Meissner
> meissnem at gmail.com

Ok, after changing my MANPATH, i can use
$ man port ,
but not man for specific ports.
For example,
$ man transfig
or
$ man xfig
do not work.

What are the other directories that i should add to MANPATH?

Here are my variables:

MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:/usr/local/teTeX/man:/usr/local/share/
man:/usr/share/man
PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/
usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/usr/local/bin
INFOPATH=/usr/local/teTeX/info:/usr/local/share/info:/usr/local/lib/
info:/usr/local/info:/usr/share/info

Thanks.

Alexey.