Gnucash fails to install: configure dbus-glib failure

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 22 15:11:37 PDT 2007

On Apr 22, 2007, at 12:41, Randall Wood wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2007, at 12:13, Bjorn Berg wrote:
>
>> So I'm new at this. Can I just type 'port uninstall dbus' on a
>> command line? How do I find those programs that are affected by
>> the newinstall, just run everything? Shouldn't this be a
>> consideration in the release of a new version that looks like its
>> capable of so much havoc?
>
> A simple "sudo port selfupdate ; sudo port outdated" should take
> care of uninstalling and reinstalling most outdated versions of
> software that depended on the older version of dbus.

a) No, it won't: "sudo port outdated" will only show a list of ports
that are outdated; it will not update them.

b) That wasn't the question. The question was, once dbus has been
upgraded, if it is an ABI-incompatible upgrade, how does one identify
all ports that depend on dbus (whether or not they are outdated) so
that they can be rebuilt? The answer is the the depsearch script in
the wiki:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
ProblemHotlist#a2.Aportfailedtobuildupgradeorrunwithamessagereferringtol
ibintl.3.dylib

Bjorn: sorry, MacPorts isn't smart enough to do this on its own. The
port system does not track whether an upgrade is ABI-compatible or
not. It just knows whether there is an upgrade to a port. It's up to
you to confirm that everything still works after upgrading a port,
and rebuild any dependencies as needed. The depsearch script above
can help you identify what you need to do.

You will, by the way, need "sudo port -f uninstall dbus", since
otherwise MacPorts will complain that some other port depends on
dbus. This may also be a way to determine which ports you need to
rebuild, though I do not know if this will be the same list returned
by depsearch.