Missing libavcodec library in ffmpeg port

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Sun Apr 22 20:25:36 PDT 2007

Hi Dave,

On 22/04/2007, at 05:02, David Liontooth wrote:

> David Liontooth wrote:
>> Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Should not need either of those since MacPorts now includes those
>>> automatically for all ports.
>>>
>> That makes sense, but if I leave them out I get this:
>>
>>     ERROR: LAME not found
>>
>> Same for xvid. It may be my environment is non-standard, but afaik
>> I've
>> followed the usual procedures.
> Let me rephrase: what could be wrong with my build environment that
> makes ./configure not see the relevant libraries?

The problem is that MacPorts currently sets "-I/opt/local/include"
only in CPPFLAGS, which is where it should properly go, but ffmpeg
only looks at CFLAGS, so we need to add the contents of CPPFLAGS to
CFLAGS to make ffmpeg happy; I'm sure that I've seen other packages
that behave the same way.

I've committed a patch to fix this [1]; let me know how it works for
you.

> What is the equivalent
> of /etc/ld.so.conf (a list of shared /dynamic library locations) and
> ldconfig (dynamic linker configuration) on OSX?

Neither of those exist on Mac OS X, and I don't believe that it has
an equivalent command/configuration file technique to specify other
directories to search for shared libraries.  The closest you can get
is to set the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH and/or
(for frameworks) DYLD_FALLBACK_FRAMEWORK_PATH environment variables,
but you probably know that there are dangers associated with this
route.  In the case of this port, however, this is moot, because the
problem was that ffmpeg couldn't find the headers, not the shared
libraries.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

[1] http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/changeset/24349