Launching mysql5

Thoraval Yvon yt.dev at free.fr
Thu Apr 26 02:12:57 PDT 2007

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 03:59:56 -0500
Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> You don't say what OS you're using, but if you're using Mac OS X 10.4
> or later, the recommended way to start mysqld now, and at every
> system startup from now on, is:
>
> sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.mysql5.plist
>
> The recommended way to stop mysqld now, and prevent it from starting
> up automatically, is:
>
> sudo launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/
> org.macports.mysql5.plist

I'm using 10.4.9, MacPorts didn't install org.macports.mysql5.plist :

$ ls -al /Library/LaunchDaemons
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel    76 Apr  5 23:34 org.macports.OpenSSH.plist -> /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.OpenSSH/org.macports.OpenSSH.plist
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel    76 Apr 23 19:52 org.macports.apache2.plist -> /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.apache2/org.macports.apache2.plist

BUT in order to start mysql server from SHELL i had to change some perms :

$ sudo chown -R mysql /opt/local/var/db/mysql5

following an error message (in  /opt/local/var/db/mysql5/www.une-bevue.fr.err) :

070426 09:53:13  mysqld started
070426  9:53:13 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file system for /opt/local/var/db/mysql5/ is case insensitive
070426  9:53:14  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file operation.
InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
InnoDB: the directory.
InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
InnoDB: File operation call: 'create'.
InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
070426 09:53:14  mysqld ended

RIGHT NOW i'm able to connect to mysql server from SHELL or Aqua DataBase Studio.

HOWEVER a :

$ locate org.macports.mysql5.plist

founds NOTHING ???

something is missing after my "sudo port install php5 +apache2 +mysql5"

best,

Yvon