A patch for installing php5 -macosx +apache

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 28 13:13:07 PDT 2007

On Apr 28, 2007, at 14:11, js wrote:

>> What prompted you to make these changes to the portfile? Did you
>> encounter error messages? What were they, and what were you doing
>> when they occurred?
>
> Sorry, I forgot to mention this.
> Without this patch, I couldn't install php5 -macosx +apache
> with the following errors.
>
> checking for crypt in -lcrypt... no
> configure: error: This c-client library is built with Kerberos
> support.
>
>      Add --with-kerberos to your configure line. Check config.log
> for details.

What OS are you running? Are you on Mac OS X 10.3.9? Do you have /usr/
lib/libgssapi_krb5?

>> I don't use c-client or kerberos5 nor really even know what they do.
>> Um... I see that c-client is for accessing mailboxes. I don't do that
>> in my php code. Since I prefer not to have lots of ports installed
>> whose features I don't need, I'm inclined to make a cclient variant
>> of php5. Anyone opposed?
>
> That'd be great. I didn't do that just because I don't know about c-
> client and
> there's some reasons that php5 port depends on this.
> If it works without port most people don't use, I think it preferable.

It looks like there used to be an +imap variant that did this, but it
and many other variants were removed two years ago and those options
were made the default:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/11347

I think I'll bring some of those variants back because I don't agree
with this decision. Or can anyone explain why this was done back
then? The idea is that variants should not be made for things that
"everyone" will want, but not everyone wants or needs support for
tidy or imap.