Any ideas why ports doesn't like what I am asking for...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 28 23:30:42 PDT 2007

On Apr 26, 2007, at 12:03, Bill Hernandez wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2007, at 3:51 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Apr 25, 2007, at 19:36, Bill Hernandez wrote:
>>
>>> [04/25/07](10:37am)[disk:~] user % sudo port -d -v install openssl
>> [snip]
>>> DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/
>>> rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/archivers/zlib
>>> DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /opt/local/var/db/dports/
>>> sources/rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/archivers/zlib
>>> DEBUG: invalid command name "configure.universal_args"
>>
>> Support for configure.universal_args was added in MacPorts 1.4.1
>> so you must still have an earlier version. Please update:
>>
>> sudo port selfupdate
>>
>> Then try again.
>
> Ryan,
>
> This solved the problem...
>
> I downloaded the version from your website, but did not run  the
> sudo port selfupdate.
>
> I have a feeling this will be the  first thing I run everytime I
> need it...
>
> Thanks for the  prompt response!

You're welcome. We released 1.4.0, 1.4.1, 1.4.2 and 1.4.3 within the
span of about two weeks, but I think we finally got most of the kinks
worked out. You probably don't have to run selfupdate too frequently.
If you're subscribed to the mailing list, you should get the release
announcements; when you get one, then you can run selfupdate to get
that release. Or you can run selfupdate once a month or so just to
check. Or run it when you run into other random errors, to see if it
fixes them, before asking the list.

"sudo port sync", on the other hand, is probably a good thing to run
before you run any other port commands each day, so that you have the
most current version of all the ports.