web server: macports vs. mac osx server

Michael Thon mike012012 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 29 01:44:09 PDT 2007

Hi All - I'm setting up my research computing environment at a new
university and I'm thinking of buying all apple hardware and running
Mac OS X rather than linux, as I have done in the past.  I have been
tinkering with macports for a while on my macbook and it seems to be
a great way to manage the open source software I need for life
science research.

I need to set up a web server with Apache, PHP, Perl, and MySQL and I
wonder if I should plunk down the extra money for OSX Server or
install and maintain these applications using macports. I have been
looking through the macports web site for documentation on installing
these packages but I  can't find any.  Is any needed?  It looks like
I will need to have the right set of variants to get all these
packages installed and talking to one another correctly.  I also
assume that I need to install the macports version of Apache and that
I can't use the one installed with OS X?  Is there a tutorial
somewhere for setting up a web server with macports?

Cheers
Mike