how to start with macports ?

Thomas De Contes d.l.tDeContes at free.fr
Wed Aug 1 05:01:18 PDT 2007

Le mardi, 24 juil 2007, à 11:05 Europe/Paris, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :

> On Jul 23, 2007, at 15:22, Thomas De Contes wrote:
>
>> i remember that the cvs command caused to download
>> base/
>> doc/
>> dports/
>> www/
>> and some readme files
>
> You mean the svn command.

no, i meant the cvs command,
it was on the web site, before macports switched to svn (i took a long
time to switch) :

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous:@anoncvs.opendarwin.org:/Volumes/src/cvs/od
login
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at anoncvs.opendarwin.org:/Volumes/src/cvs/od co
-P darwinports

>> 1 : does't it need to download at least dports, to know the list of
>> available ports ??
>
> No, it doesn't. You only need base, which is the source code of the
> project. "./configure", "make" and "sudo make install". Then run "sudo
> /opt/local/bin/port selfupdate" which will check if there is a new
> version of MacPorts available (and, if so, will download it and
> "./configure", "make" and "sudo make install" it), and will also
> download the dports tree via rsync.

thank you for explanations :-)

>> 2 : why is there no longer in macports the readme files that there
>> were in darwinports ?
>
> I don't know what files you're referring to. What was in them? What
> information are you missing?

they are here :
http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/tags/release_1_3_2-archive/

but in fact i don't really need them, all what i need is on the web
site :-)
it's just better if at each time we download sth, we have a readme at
once to not need to search after information elsewhere :-)

>>> You don't really need to get the code from out repository though.
>>> Just download and install the disk image as above. Though you can
>>> certainly build it from source if you prefer that, for some reason.
>>
>> i want to personalize the install directory to not need to be root, i
>> don't know if the binaries would support it (svn doesn't support it)
>
> Oh, ok. You're right, the binaries only work in /opt/local. If you
> want your own prefix, you need to download the source and "./configure
> --prefix=/whatever/you/want"

to be precise, i have to do
./configure --prefix=/my-macports-install-directory
--with-install-user=me --with-install-group=mygroup
to not have the installer trying to do chown root/admin

> On Jul 23, 2007, at 16:36, Thomas De Contes wrote:
>
>> oh, it's possible to use rsync ! :-)) i didn't know
>>
>> it's very nice, because it allows me to install macports on a new
>> computer, needing neither macports binaries, nor svn binaries :-)
>> i hope it will be maintained as is at least since svn will be
>> integrated in mac os x, will it ? (who decides this sort of thing ?)
>>
>> well, no matter if there is no svn URL which always points to the
>> latest stable released version, since there is an rsync one :-)
>
> MacPorts has used rsync for a long time (since the beginning?) and I
> don't know of any plans to remove that functionality.

ok, thank you :-)

> FYI: I believe Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard will include Subversion (in the
> Developer Tools a.k.a. Xcode).

nice :-)

>> the command to do to use rsync is
>> rsync -azv --delete-after rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/base/
>> macports/
>> isn't it ?
>
> I don't know; I don't regularly use rsync and generally have to
> consult the manpage myself.

no matter, it works :-)

--
Mon CV : http://tDeContes.hd.free.fr/divers/emploi/