problem installing py25-readline on intel OSX

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 3 02:34:56 PDT 2007

On Aug 3, 2007, at 01:21, David Tremouilles wrote:

> 2007/8/3, Ryan Schmidt:
>
>> On Aug 2, 2007, at 10:53, David Tremouilles wrote:
>>
>>> A problem with py25-readline on intel OSX 10.4.10  macport 1.5
>>> Could somebody help.
>>> Here is the output of  "sudo port install py25-readline":
>>>
>>> --->  Building py25-readline with target build
>>> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
>>> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
>>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_pyt
>>> ho
>>> n_py25-readline/work/Python-2.5.1/Modules"
>>> && /opt/local/bin/python2.5 setup.py build " returned error 1
>>> Command output: running build
>>> running build_ext
>>> building 'readline' extension
>>> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -arch i386 -arch ppc -isysroot
>>> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -L/opt/local/lib -bundle -undefined
>>> dynamic_lookup build/temp.macosx-10.3-fat-2.5/readline.o
>>> -L/opt/local/lib -lreadline -o
>>> build/lib.macosx-10.3-fat-2.5/readline.so
>>> /usr/bin/ld: for architecture i386
>>> /usr/bin/ld: warning -prebind has no effect with -bundle
>>> /usr/bin/ld: warning can't open dynamic library:
>>> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib
>>> referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libreadline.dylib (checking for
>>> undefined symbols may be affected) (No such file or directory,
>>> errno =
>>> 2)
>>> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
>>> _tgoto referenced from libreadline expected to be defined in
>>> /opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib
>>> _tputs referenced from libreadline expected to be defined in
>>> /opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib
>>> _tgetent referenced from libreadline expected to be defined in
>>> /opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib
>>> _tgetflag referenced from libreadline expected to be defined in
>>> /opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib
>>> _tgetnum referenced from libreadline expected to be defined in
>>> /opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib
>>> _tgetstr referenced from libreadline expected to be defined in
>>> /opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib
>>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>> /usr/bin/ld: for architecture ppc
>>> /usr/bin/ld: warning -prebind has no effect with -bundle
>>> /usr/bin/ld: warning /opt/local/lib/libreadline.dylib cputype (7,
>>> architecture i386) does not match cputype (18) for specified -arch
>>> flag: ppc (file not loaded)
>>> lipo: can't open input file: /var/tmp//ccQCz6pN.out (No such file
>>> or directory)
>>> error: command '/usr/bin/gcc-4.0' failed with exit status 1
>>
>> Your readline sounds messed up. Please force an uninstall of
>> readline, clean readline, then reinstall readline. Then try again.
>>
>> sudo port -f uninstall readline
>> sudo port sync
>> sudo port install readline
>
>  I've just tried to re-install readline but it does not help :-(
> I still get the same error message...
> Any other idea?

Perhaps you need to do the same for ncurses. I can't quite wade
through the error messages.

Which port are you attempting to install universal? Or, which ports
are already installed universal? Do you really need universal
support? It's still somewhat problematic, as you're noticing.