freetype +universal fails to install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 3 02:37:36 PDT 2007

On Aug 3, 2007, at 04:21, Bengt Nilsson wrote:

> 3 aug 2007 kl. 04.09 skrev Ryan Schmidt:
>
>> On Aug 2, 2007, at 09:12, Bengt Nilsson wrote:
>>
>>> I have a problem with freetype universal binary variant:
>>>
>>> mc2-p039:/Users/bnilsson root# port install freetype +universal
>>> --->  Fetching freetype
>>> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for freetype
>>> --->  Extracting freetype
>>> --->  Applying patches to freetype
>>> --->  Configuring freetype
>>> --->  Building freetype with target all
>>> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/
>>> opt/local/var/macports/build/
>>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_pri
>>> nt_freetype/work/freetype-2.3.5" && make all " returned error 2
>>> Command output: ld: Undefined symbols:
>>> ___error
>>> _close
>>> _fcntl
>>> _free
>>> _fstat
>>> _malloc
>>> _mmap
>>> _munmap
>>> _open
>>> _read
>>> _realloc
>>> _longjmp
>>> _memcpy
>>> _memmove
>>> _memset
>>> _strcat
>>> _strcmp
>>> _strncpy
>>> _strrchr
>>> _strstr
>>> _qsort
>>> _strncmp
>>> _atol
>>> _sprintf
>>> _memchr
>>> _setjmp
>>> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
>>> lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//
>>> ccT2NK0s.out
>>> make: *** [/opt/local/var/macports/build/
>>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_pri
>>> nt_freetype/work/freetype-2.3.5/objs/libfreetype.la] Error 1
>>>
>>> Seems simple, but I don't know how to fix it.
>>>
>>> bnilsson
>>> MacPorts 1.5
>>
>> Unable to reproduce. "sudo port install freetype +doc +universal"
>> works fine for me on Mac OS X 10.4.10 with Xcode 2.4.1 on Intel
>> Core 2 Duo. What system are you on? What version of Xcode do you
>> have? Can you please show us verbose debug output ("sudo port -dv
>> install freetype +universal")?
>
> I am using a dual ppc G5 2.3Ghz, 1.5GB RAM
> MacOSX 10.4.10
> XCode 2.4.1
> MacPorts 1.5
>
> The verbose output is attached,
> <port_freetype_universal.txt.zip>

Bengt, I'm sorry, this is greek to me, and I don't have a G5 I can
test on right now. If you can't find a solution by searching for the
error message on Google, you may have to ask the developers of
freetype for assistance. Or maybe someone else here has an idea.

If you need this universal, that means you also have access to an
Intel Mac. Since it builds universal for me on Intel, maybe you can
just build it on your Intel Mac. If, on the other hand, you don't
have an Intel Mac, then you probably don't need to be building
universal anyway.