php4 +mysql3 install

Jyrki Wahlstedt jwa at macports.org
Fri Aug 3 23:31:30 PDT 2007

On 4.8.2007, at 1.39, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2007, at 15:36, Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:
>
>> On 3.8.2007, at 19.44, Steve Vaught wrote:
>>
>>> i'm new here, so go easy on me...
>>>
>>> I've installed apache and mysql3 successfully/easily.
>>> I'm attempting to install php4 +apache +mysql3 +gd etc...
>>> The install fails and says it can't find the header file for
>>> mysql in /opt/local
>>> What now?
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> Hi,
>> may I ask you the reason to install apache and mysql3, as the
>> (default) ports for those are apache2 (should always be used with
>> MacPorts) and mysql5?
>> The portfile for mysql3 was last updated November 2006, so I
>> suspect it might be out of date (as can be seen in the Portfile,
>> moreover mysql3 and mysql4 are not maintained by anyone, as the
>> maintainer spec says nomaintainer). So, if it is ok for you, you
>> could try with php4 +apache2 +mysql5 (do you run your own
>> server?). If not, I have to think something else.
>
> In fact, also use php5, please, if possible. php4 is old.

True,
as one can see at the web site. PHP 4 is not developed anymore, there
was an end of life announcement 13th July. Most of PHP 4 code can be
used with PHP 5, and there are lot of improvements, so php5 is of
course the recommended choice.

!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780
6366 EFD9 139C C386