ANN: PortAuthority 2.3 released

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Aug 8 09:18:40 PDT 2007

I'm very proud to announce that version 2.3 of PortAuthority, my GUI for
MacPorts, is now available. This release has many improvements, focusing
mainly on speed, responsiveness, and ease-of-use:

* All tree and table items return data with a single click.

* Searching and sorting information is now much faster; the list of
ports is cached and updates by calling MacPorts only when a package is
removed or added.

* When installing a port, user stays in the same table view when the
installation is done; it no longer pulls away to the updated list of
packages.

* The progress bar and beep are only called during long-running
processes (installing, removing, upgrading ports). Simple or quick
processes (fetching info, filtering by category) simply display the
proper data.

* Bug fix: Preferences now update correctly.

On a personal note, this release is something of a milestone; it
represents the culimination of several months of work in trying to make
PortAuthority as polished and "Mac-like" as possible, without rewriting
it from scratch. The basic functionality of PortAuthority has long been
stable, but it has left something to be desired in terms of how
intuitive it is to use; it's been slow to run commands, has required
double-clicks when single-clicks should work, and has been ugly.  With
version 2.3, I think it's finally about there in terms of look and feel:
I've used Mail, iTunes and similar applications for the layout and
behavior of the UI.

These changes have been made largely in response to user feedback; some
users have e-mailed me off-list with very specific and detailed
suggestions. This input is invaluable, and I thank everyone who has
taken the time to do this.

More details about PortAuthority, including pricing and download
information, can be found here:

http://www.codebykevin.com/portauthority.html

Thanks again to all!