SDL_Perl installing troubles!

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Aug 9 14:59:32 PDT 2007

On Aug 9, 2007, at 16:41, Tommaso Urli wrote:

>> The port complained that you did not have the 10.3.9 SDK. So the
>> solution is to install the 10.3.9 SDK. This is part of the Xcode
>> installer. I forget whether it's there by default, but regardless, it
>> needs to be installed now. Customize the Xcode installation and you
>> should see it.
>>
>> You would not have been able to get this far with the MacPorts
>> installation if you did not already have Xcode installed. Perhaps you
>> had an older version of Xcode? If so, that is usually a fairly major
>> problem, so it's a good idea to get 2.4.1 installed now.
>>
>> Let us know what errors, if any, you still have after upgrading Xcode
>> and installing the requisite SDK.
>
> I have downloaded and installed Xcode 2, the SDK was included in the
> installer, so after the upgrade I managed to install libsdl-framework
> just with this command:
>
> sudo port install libsdl-framework
>
> And nothing else.
> So, for the people who has the same problem, install Xcode 2 :) (in
> the .dmg there is also a directory called  "Packages" with the various
> SDK and libraries, so I think it's possible to install them
> singularly).

Installing the latest Xcode is of course the first step of the
install document:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts

I'm still curious what you had installed before. As I recall, Mac OS
X 10.4 requires Xcode 2 (I don't think an earlier version will work),
and you would have run into much more basic errors earlier on if you
did not already have Xcode installed. (For instance, you already had
the xcodebuild command, which you would not have had if you didn't
have Xcode.)