GNOME installation

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Fri Aug 10 06:41:53 PDT 2007

On 8/10/07, Andreas Zeitler <azeitler at zettt.de> wrote:
> I haven't found much information about installing GNOME via MacPorts.

The GNOME maintainer, rhwood, keeps a couple of useful webpages:

http://homepage.mac.com/rhwood/gnome/index.html
http://homepage.mac.com/rhwood/darwinports/gnome.html

> It seems that there is a problem with the zenity package. Is that right?

I don't know anything about zenity.  Note that I did not self-update
my macports for a few days (though GNOME is working here too) but I
just tried to install it on an Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, and got a
python malloc error:

--->  Building zenity with target all
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_zenity/work/zenity-2.18.2"
&& make all " returned error 2
Command output: Python(10184) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=1069056)
failed (error code=3)
Python(10184) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
Python(10184) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/local/bin/xml2po", line 856, in ?
    doSerialize(doc)
<SNIP>
MemoryError
make[2]: *** [bg/zenity.xml] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Is that similar to your error?

> However, GNOME is working i can start it and use it, seems so haven't
> looked at it much deeper.
> Is there a way how to install the remaining packages? (except the not
> working zenity)

If the packages you want don't depend on zenity, 'port install '
should just work.

> Second question: Installing GIMP through MacPorts (having installed
> cairo via the GNOME) stops when reaching the installation of (i
> think) py-cairo. Does anybody know how to get GIMP working? Should i
> do a force install?

Sorry - I haven't tried the macports GIMP.

David