Problems with Gnucash & Gramps

David Rowe david.rowe at freeuk.com
Sun Aug 12 17:02:55 PDT 2007

David Rowe wrote:
> Yves de Champlain wrote:
>>
>> Le 07-08-11 à 16:22, David Rowe a écrit :
>>
>>> I am attempting a clean reinstallation of various Macports
>>> applications - i.e. I have renamed /opt/local as /opt/ZZlocal (so I
>>> can go back if necessary), I have reinstalled Macports 1.5.1 into
>>> MacOS and I am starting from the beginning.
>>>
>>> The first two applications I attempted both fail to work. They have
>>> both worked OK in a previous installation (though I was having
>>> trouble updating them).
>>>
>>> 1) Gnucash apparently installed OK, but when I try to launch it, the
>>> X11 log reports:
>>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>> dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
>>>  Referenced from:
>>> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
>>>
>>>  Expected in: /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib
>>>
>>> Trace/BPT trap
>>
>> Means you have a DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH defined somewhere (I think)
>>
>> yves
>>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I presume you mean DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH may be
> defined as an environment variable is my shell. I have just checked
> and it is NOT defined.
> Also, if I reinstate the old MacPorts installation (by renaming
> /opt/ZZlocal), the old Gnucash 2.0.2 runs just fine.
>
> I tried Goolging for  __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart and it looks like
> this is a problem that has surfaced with several different
> applications, and with Fink as well as MacPorts. The root of the
> problem is confusion between the MacOS library in
> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib
>
> and the MacPorts library in /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.dylib (an alias for
> libjpeg.62.dylib)
>
> What I am not sure is how to fix the problem.

Update -  I have been investigating further:

It is true that DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set in my shell at the time I
invoke gnucash.

However the file 'gnucash' is itself a shell script that does (in
gnucash 2.1.0) set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in a series of steps:
I put in an 'echo' command to see what the value was by the time the
gnucash binary was invoked - it was:
/opt/local/lib/gnucash::/opt/local/lib:/opt/local/lib/gnucash:

This looks sort-of OK but I don't see why the /opt/local/lib/gnucash
entry is duplicated.

I tried knocking out the setting of DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to see what happens.
The answer is that loading proceeds a bit further - the Gnucash splash
screen appears momentarily and then it fails saying:

ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
ERROR: file: "libgnc-core-utils", message: "dlopen(libgnc-core-utils.so,
9): image not found"

So it is necessary to set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, but presumably the above
value is not right.
Does anyone know what it should be set to?

PS - for the record, the corresponding Gnucash script for the previous
version (2.0.5) (which works OK on my system) does NOT set
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.

David Rowe