Problems with Gnucash & Gramps

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Mon Aug 13 16:30:28 PDT 2007

--On August 13, 2007 4:31:43 PM +1000 Boey Maun Suang
<boeyms at macports.org> wrote:

> On 12/08/2007, at 06:22, David Rowe wrote:
>
>> 1) Gnucash apparently installed OK, but when I try to launch it,
>> the X11 log reports:
>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>> dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
>>  Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/
>> ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
>> ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
>>  Expected in: /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib
>>
>> Trace/BPT trap
>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> I've seen the comments from other people, but I can't help but think
> that there's a better way of dealing with this than fiddling with
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH.  One think that I'd
> suggest would be to try forcing a rebuild of Gnucash's dependencies,
> and after that Gnucash itself.  The jpeg port provides
> /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib, so the following will hopefully work:
>
> sudo port -f upgrade jpeg
> sudo port -fn upgrade gnucash
> (-n tells port not to rebuild all the rest of gnucash's dependencies)
>
> If that doesn't work, it looks to me like something that really
> should be fixed by the Gnucash developers rather than the port's
> maintainer, so it'd be great if you can report your problem to them.

It may not be that simple.  There are two JPEG libraries involved.  The
one in
System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib
defines __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart and the one in
/opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.0.0.dylib doesn't.  Gnucash is linked against
the latter, but ImageIO needs the former.  I don't know if Gnucash will
work with the former or not.

The real question to me is why the MacPorts build of Gnucash needs
ImageIO.  I built it by hand (using MacPorts for all the dependencies)
and my copy doesn't need it.  It links against the MacPorts JPEG
library and runs fine.

It's possible that Gnucash will work with ImageIO if you remove the
MacPorts version of libjpeg and let it build with the system library.
You may have similar problems with the TIFF library.

Mike Alexander           mta at umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI            PGP key ID: BEA343A6