Problems with Gnucash

David Rowe david.rowe at freeuk.com
Tue Aug 14 17:06:11 PDT 2007

Mike Alexander wrote:
> --On August 13, 2007 4:31:43 PM +1000 Boey Maun Suang
> <boeyms at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> On 12/08/2007, at 06:22, David Rowe wrote:
>>
>>> 1) Gnucash apparently installed OK, but when I try to launch it,
>>> the X11 log reports:
>>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>> dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
>>>  Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/
>>> ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
>>> ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
>>>  Expected in: /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib
>>>
>>> Trace/BPT trap
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>> I've seen the comments from other people, but I can't help but think
>> that there's a better way of dealing with this than fiddling with
>> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH.  One think that I'd
>> suggest would be to try forcing a rebuild of Gnucash's dependencies,
>> and after that Gnucash itself.  The jpeg port provides
>> /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib, so the following will hopefully work:
>>
>> sudo port -f upgrade jpeg
>> sudo port -fn upgrade gnucash
>> (-n tells port not to rebuild all the rest of gnucash's dependencies)
>>
>> If that doesn't work, it looks to me like something that really
>> should be fixed by the Gnucash developers rather than the port's
>> maintainer, so it'd be great if you can report your problem to them.
>
> It may not be that simple.  There are two JPEG libraries involved.
> The one in
> System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib
> defines __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart and the one in
> /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.0.0.dylib doesn't.  Gnucash is linked
> against the latter, but ImageIO needs the former.  I don't know if
> Gnucash will work with the former or not.
>
> The real question to me is why the MacPorts build of Gnucash needs
> ImageIO.  I built it by hand (using MacPorts for all the dependencies)
> and my copy doesn't need it.  It links against the MacPorts JPEG
> library and runs fine.
>
> It's possible that Gnucash will work with ImageIO if you remove the
> MacPorts version of libjpeg and let it build with the system library.
> You may have similar problems with the TIFF library.

Following Mike's comment, I tried editing the shell script:
/opt/local/bin/gnucash (the one that launches Gnucash).
Line 20 originally read:
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${EXTRA_LIBS}:${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
So I altered it to:
#DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${EXTRA_LIBS}:${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources:/opt/local/lib:/opt/local/lib/gnucash"

and Gnucash 2.2.0 now loads and apparently runs its basic functions OK.

** Please note: I have NOT tested the full functionality. This is just a
work-round so I can try out the new version of gnucash on a non-critical
application. Use it at your own risk.

David Rowe