gtk2 compiling problem

Michael gmichaelt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 11:33:30 PDT 2007

 <markd <at> macports.org> writes:

> Michael <gmichaelt <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >I've wondered whether there might be a problem with a mismatch of the
> >installed
> >XCode and the version of MacPorts in play here - neither
> >http://www.macports.org/ nor
> >http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts are
> >particularly helpful in sorting out the question of what 10.3.x needs/can
> >use. I
> >only installed 1.510 (specifically the 10.3 variant) because there
> >appeared to
> >be nothing to contradict doing so and using an earlier version
> >appropriate to
> >the installed XCode. I considered installing the X11 SDK from XCode 2.4.1,
> >perhaps some other parts of it, too, but demurred; why complicate matters?

There should be a bit more specificity about the assumptions made at your end,
or the scope of what interests you. 10.3, implicitly does (at the moment), else
there wouldn't be a version specific to it available. But there's a forgotten
ignorance at play when macports.org sternly refers to installing XCode 2.4.x,
which, it turns out, requires 10.4.2 or higher. One hand should know what the
other is doing. Or phrase things in less absolute terms e.g. "ideally,...",
etc.. I still wonder whether various parts of the latter version of XCode (e.g.
the X11 SDK) can be installed over that version supplied with XC 1.5...

> Yes, the install docs don't cover 10.3.

If you keep a last-but-one version (1.4, from what I can see at the moment), is
it so hard to archive complete prior versions - docs and all - and make them
available on a yer-on-yer-own basis?

> >I'm also unclear on the syntax for using variants on the command line;
> >http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/UsingMacPortsQuickStart
> >is
> >muddy on this subject...

> The QuickStart needs some work, or perhaps some parts can be removed that
> are handled in the new guide.  See if it is better on the subject of
> variants; I added some on that topic just last night.
> http://geeklair.net/new_macports_guide/  Look in "Using MacPorts".  What
> isn't clear can be changed so let us know.

A single locus of info would be a great improvement all around - ideally on a
single site, but at least something that's been vetted by the same set of
eyeballs, or managed, in toto, by one person or group with a stylesheet in mind!
 Metastasizing FAQs don't help in an already complicated, detail-fussy matter.
I'm hoping the info at the link above will eventually be everywhere, or the only
"there".

I'm heartened to see that the above link begins with a description of the 'what
it is' variety - something that's very difficult to find, ironically, on the
macports.org site.

Still wondering about thte gtk2 install, though.