Problem installing gnome-doc-utils

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Wed Aug 15 01:31:27 PDT 2007

Hi Mark,

	the main difference between sync and selfupadte is that
	selfupdate check if there is a newer port version and
	if so upgrades it. selfupdate does a sync before it upgrades.

	sync brings the local ports list uptodate so that port can do its
	thing with the newest ports! Normally, a sync is all the users
	needs. Unless their is a new port version out. Whether it is better
	to sync or selfupdate depends on what has changed in the way port
	works. Sometimes port will work with an older version and syncing,
	yet if their are major changes a user will need to selfupdate.

	If the user waits to long to selfupdate that can cause havoc with
	the ports system!

	The question should be do we really need sync or would selfupdate
	do. That is a design feature.

	What would be nice if port when sync would also notice that port
	is outdated and report that or port outdated would list port as
	outdated!

	regards
		Keith.