Problem installing gnome-doc-utils

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Wed Aug 15 01:58:19 PDT 2007

Keith J. Schultz wrote:

> 	sync brings the local ports list uptodate so that port can do its
> 	thing with the newest ports! Normally, a sync is all the users
> 	needs. Unless their is a new port version out. Whether it is better
> 	to sync or selfupdate depends on what has changed in the way port
> 	works. Sometimes port will work with an older version and syncing,
> 	yet if their are major changes a user will need to selfupdate.

"selfupdate" is broken on some platforms, and sometimes a newer
MacPorts release is broken itself, so user might prefer to just
update the ports tree - without having to update base itself...

It's possible to update base later, without using "selfupdate".

> 	If the user waits to long to selfupdate that can cause havoc with
> 	the ports system!

Actually one *can* use older versions of base, as long as one also
uses older versions of the ports (e.g. the ones in the "archive")
Sometimes this is useful, like for older now unsupported platforms.

> 	The question should be do we really need sync or would selfupdate
> 	do. That is a design feature.

I think we need both. Or with the svn update, make that "all three".

--anders