su problem after bad meld install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 17 05:34:06 PDT 2007

On Aug 17, 2007, at 06:07, Jenn Mixxmann wrote:

>    I tried using macports to install meld (a visual diff tool).
> The install failed due to some dependency.

Not entirely surprising... when all is said and done, meld has well
over a hundred dependencies. [1]

> This turned out to be okay since I ended up using a different tool
> than meld.   However it left my root account in a bit of a
> quandry.   I ran
> port install meld
> directly from the root account since I was taking care of some
> other tasks also.   After the install failed, I exited from the
> account back to a normal account and did some other work.    When I
> needed to su back, I noted:
> 1) the default shell for root had changed from bash to sh

I'm not aware of any part of MacPorts that should be doing that. Can
anyone else think of why that would have happened?

For the record, on Mac OS X, sh is bash so this should not have
caused you any difficulty at all.

> 2) every time I ran 'su', Little Snitch would pop up saying that su
> was trying to contact my DNS server on port 53.   (I can allow or
> deny the request; it doesn't matter since su will still work
> correctly.)
>
>    I changed the default shell back to bash, however I'm not sure
> of what to do to fix the second problem or why su needs to contact
> the DNS server.   Is there a quick fix for this?

Also not sure what's going on there. I know that the heimdal port,
for example, will install its own su, which may behave differently
from the system's su. But heimdal is not a dependency of meld.

[1] It's a pretty impressive dependency graph, really:

http://www.ryandesign.com/tmp/meld.png