php5 port and dba_open()

AstroDrabb astrodrabb at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 04:44:51 PDT 2007

On 8/19/07, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2007, at 15:58, AstroDrabb wrote:
>
> > I just setup apache2, mysql5 and php5.  However, I get an error when I
> > make a call
> > to dba_open().
> >
> > Fatal error: Call to undefined function dba_open() in /...
> >
> > Looking at the output of a call to phpinfo() I see this compile
> > option:
> > --enable-dba
> >
> > I looked around for any loadable modules, but did not find any
> > modules.  Is this a bug in the php5 build or am I missing something?
>
> I'm one of the maintainers of php5. I agree -- dba_open() is
> undefined. ./configure output is interesting...
>
> checking whether to enable DBA... yes
> checking for QDBM support... no
> checking for GDBM support... no
> checking for NDBM support... no
> checking for Berkeley DB4 support... no
> checking for Berkeley DB3 support... no
> checking for Berkeley DB2 support... no
> checking for DB1 support... no
> checking for DBM support... no
> checking for CDB support... no
> checking for INI File support... no
> checking for FlatFile support... no
> checking whether to enable DBA interface... no
>
> So it's enabled... but it isn't. Apparently.
>
> What type of database are you trying to access with dba? It looks
> like each possibility must be enabled separately. I'm not sure if
> each of these implies bringing in additional dependencies. If it
> does, I'm inclined to move dba support to a variant. Comments /
> suggestions welcome.

A variant would probably be best since you can use different dba handlers
like gdbm, qdbm, db4, etc

Here is the link to --enable-dba
http://us3.php.net/dba

Or you could use:
--enable-dba=shared

Then you could have a variant for each dba handler with:

--with-db4[=DIR]
--with-gdbm[=DIR]
--with-qdbm[=DIR] /* Note:  qdbm conflicts with dbm and gdbm */

Then a user just has to enable an extension for db4, gdbm or qdbm, etc.

Thanks for the help,

P.S.  Please CC: me if you update the port.

Jim