building custom gdal/grass modules

Jeff Stubbs jeff at cjstubbs.org
Tue Aug 21 06:58:57 PDT 2007

Greetings All,

Just for my own curiosity, I'm attempting to build the Grass GIS
software as a macports package. Been putzing along, installing all
the needed dependencies. I've created a local repository, for updated
versions of geos, gdal, ...etc. Before attempting to build grass
itself, I've run into a couple of minor problems.

Several of the gdal modules have restricted access. So, I just can't
set up a master_sites directive in the modified portfile. It appears
that I'll have to download the .gz file and store them locally on my
machine. The obvious directory would be "/opt/local/src", but the
question then becomes. can the master_sites directive take a
"files:///opt/local/src" as an argument?

The PortStyle man page has entries for fetch, advanced fetch, cvs &
subversion techniques, but nothing, that I noticed for local files.
Am I missing something? There are entries for fetch.user and
fetch.password for http & ftp access and I haven't explored them yet,
since I'm more interested in building the software first.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff