Installing xfig: "Library not loaded"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 21 04:54:10 PDT 2007

On Aug 20, 2007, at 21:00, Hermann Flaschka wrote:

> My problem started with the graphics program "xfig". It would crash
> every
> time I tried to open a file. So I wanted to reinstall it, and tried
> to remove all
> its files by hand. I'm sure this was a bad idea, but I didn't know
> there was an
> "uninstall" command.  When I tried to install xfig again, Macports
> kept giving error
> messages about some file already existing and not belonging to a
> registered
> port. Each time, I removed the file by hand. Finally, I did "sudo
> port -f uninstall xfig",
> and there was no message at all. Then I reinstalled xfig. That
> seemed to work.
> To be certain, I did "sudo port -d upgrade xfig" and got "No need
> to upgrade!"
>
>  However, when I try to use xfig, I get this message:
>
> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw3d.7.dylib
>   Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/xfig
>   Reason: image not found
> Trace/BPT trap
>
> Maybe I deleted necessary files while I was messing around? The
> program
> opened OK before I did all this (it just crashed afterwards).
> How do I get the missing files installed? (I'm running OS X 10.4.10
> on a
> MacBook Pro).

I see that xfig depends on Xaw3d, and Xaw3d provides libXaw3d.
7.dylib, but in /opt/local/lib/, not in /usr/X11R6/lib.

I just tried to install and run xfig just now, and it seemed to be
ok. (Well, it crashed when I clicked the File menu, but that's
different from referencing a nonexistent library.)

Do you have a /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw3d.7.dylib on your system? I don't
on mine.

I recommend you uninstall and clean xfig, and maybe do the same for
Xaw3d, and then reinstall xfig.