MacPorts 1.5.2 now available

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 29 18:28:30 PDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 14:29, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2007-08-28 22:58:16 +0200, N_Ox wrote:

>>> Perhaps. But this is really a hack.
>>
>> Why do you call it a hack? It just does what we want to.
>
> For instance, it could fail if the user has a different gcc, with
> different system paths.

But we always want users to compile MacPorts base using the gcc
provided with Apple Xcode. We don't want people attempting to use any
other version of gcc.

> Couldn't MacPorts be made compatible with
> the GNU readline API?

I thought it already was. I think the problem is not that MacPorts is
not compatible with GNU readline, but that users sometimes have
incredibly old versions of readline in /usr/local which are
(apparently) insufficient for MacPorts. We don't want to link against
incredibly old (or even up-to-date) versions of software the user has
installed themselves. We want to use software managed by MacPorts
where at all possible. ANnd for the bootstrapping process of of
initially getting MacPorts installed, it's reasonable to use just
Apple software.